Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"A Confident Heart" Day 18

7th/8th grade Cross Country Meet Medalists- 10/12/11
The boy on the far left is my son, Hunter.  He is a 7th grader this year, plays football, and runs cross country. Cross Country, for those who aren't familiar, is like running a 5K (more or less) or any longer distance running event--not quite a marathon or anything, though.  Hunter placed 12th out of about 50 boys (7th and 8th grade).  He also ran his best time, too!  I'm such a proud mama -*sigh*.

I have no idea where he gets this from.  I am not very athletic (although I do love sports).  My husband is very athletic--just not a runner.  I do enjoy the fact that Hunter, and my daughter Jordan, are both runners.  I just never could physically run very well.  I enjoy watching my kids, though.  It's almost like I can be a good runner through them.  Awesome....

Running makes me think of how we, as Christians, tend to run away from God when things start getting "personal."  You know.......when God starts doing some pruning in your life and starts working in your life to change you for the better?  That's usually not one of the most comfortable encounters with God.  Sometimes, pain is involved; but we always come out better on the other side.  But, in our human nature, we tend to run away  from anything that "hurts" or that is uncomfortable and we miss the blessings that God is doing in our life.
In Renee Swope's book, A Confident Heart, she says: "All the while I was running.  Running from my past and my pain.  Eventually, I would discover that I was also running from the healing work God wanted to do in my heart."  (chapter 4, pg. 71)
She also speaks of Jeremiah 29:11 where God says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Ok, so we run away from the pain that God wants to heal because He has a plan for us-a plan to prosper us? Hmmmm.......does this make any sense to anyone else?  Why do we do such silly things, sometimes?

Trust in the Lord.  Lean not unto your own understanding.

We don't have to see the end result to trust the LORD and that He has our best interest in mind.  If He is working something in your life, let Him in.  Let Him do a mighty work in your life.  He is not going to put you through more than you can handle.  Furthermore, let Him help you get rid of the hurtful stuff in your life and in your past.  He knows you!  He loves you!  You can trust Him with your heart.  Give it over to God today, and don't run away.

No comments: