Monday, October 17, 2011

"A Confident Heart" Day 17


Alright, so I can think of a million better ways to spend my weekend than being sick with a cold.  Wow!  I had a doosey of a cold, too.  It was fast moving from my head right down into my chest with a vengeance.  All that said--I am back at work today with just a small cough and a little stuffiness.  Thank you God for your healing power and thank you to everyone who prayed for me!

Since my laptop and iPhone were hijacked all weekend due to the crazy "brick my phone please!" update, my blog has gone undone again.  This is really a lesson for me, but I am totally ok with it.  I'll learn........one day.

________________________________


Question:  When we pray for people, do we only pray for things that are only important in the moment?
Or do we include prayers for lasting things?  Hmmm......strange question, huh?  I was reading this scripture this morning and it made me think, "Am I praying for 'forever' things or just for things to satisfy the here and now?"

16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit[f] of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. Ephesians 1:16-19a

A friend of ours is going into surgery as I am typing this-emergency gallbladder surgery.  Of course, I have been praying all morning for him and his family; but I have been praying only for this moment.  No, that is not wrong to pray for "moments", but I do think we need to consciously pray for eternal things as well.  Just like the scripture above says, we need to pray that they will "know him better."   How awesome would it be to pray these things over ourselves?

Our husband?
Our family?
Our kids?
Our friends and church congregation?

Wow.  What a wonderful thing this would be.  All of us knowing God more and having our eyes opened to our calling.......

I think that is going to be added to my prayer life.  Even if I have to read the scripture while praying, God will honor that (especially since He knows I am not good at memorizing!).  I hope you all accept the challenge to do the same.  Oh, to pray for our family and friends in such a way to make them better for eternity....not only in the moment!

No comments: