"She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27
Today, I want to talk about keeping an eye on our finances. This is a topic that most of us either love to discuss or one that causes us to shutter in horror at just the sound. I'm a "numbers person" so I like to analyze spending habits and things of the like.
Yes, I know. I'm kind of weird. HaHa!
For everyone else who is a little nervous about dealing with finances, I'm here to tell you that there is help out there. The Bible, of course, has the best advice and instruction of dealing with your finances. Become accustomed to using your Concordance in your Bible if you have one. You can also search for scriptures dealing with money online at www.biblegateway.com . This site is my go-to site when my Bible is not at my fingertips. Search for scripture in almost any Bible version. It's great when you are preparing for a Bible study lesson as well.
The Internet also has some great advice on budgeting, paying bills, paying off debt, and saving money for large purchases or just for the future. Google and Bing both have great search engines. Just go to one of the sites, type in something like "budgeting help" or "managing my finances", and many sites will pop up ready to help you get your finances whipped into shape.
Verse 27 of Proverbs Chapter 31 talks about this fantastic woman "watching over the affairs of her household." The Lord intends for us ladies to do just that. The Bible doesn't say we have to be experts at it. Just do what works for you, and what what glorifies God!
Here is what I do to keep watch over our finances at home.
- Keep all the bills in one place where I can find them. "Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed." Proverbs 15:22 I have a great monthly bill organizer/folder that I purchased for $1 at the local discount store. It is great! It has a ledger (page with lines & columns on it) and a pocket to hold bills for that month all on one page. It's very handy. I write out all the bills that are automatic on the ledger and keep the unpaid bills from the mail in the pocket.
- Pay bills on a schedule if possible, and on time. "Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debt, and you and your sons can live on the rest.” 2 Kings 4:7 My husband I each get paid twice a month. So, I pay bills on those days. It's become almost like a ritual. We deposit our checks into bank, and then pay the bills that same day (to include tithing.) This way, you don't forget to pay anything.
- ALWAYS balance the checkbook. "Know well the condition of your flocks, and pay attention to your herds;" Proverbs 27:23 Invest in a great calculator if you need to, but always balance the checkbook. And, balance it often! How are we supposed to know really how much money we have and be good stewards of God's portion to us if we don't know how much there is?
- Pay yourself every month. "Four things are small on the earth, but they are exceedingly wise: The ants are not a strong people, but they prepare their food in the summer;" Proverbs 30:24-25 Savings. Whether it's a rainy-day fund, or your daughter's wedding fund, or a small fund for an upcoming vacation--put some into savings.
- Budget, budget, budget! "For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he may have enough to finish it; lest perhaps, after he has laid the foundation and is not able to finish, all those seeing begin to mock him, saying, This man began to build and was not able to finish." Luke 14:28-30 Maybe this one should have been number 1, but here it is at number 5. This is, in my opinion, the most important. Do not spend $300 on groceries when you only have $200 to spend. Something will end up going unpaid in another area, and then a vicious cycle begins. Budget, budget, budget! It will save your sanity as well :)
In keeping with the theme of the Proverbs 31 woman, by keeping an eye on our finances, we will be watching over the affairs of our homes. We can all do this. God calls for us to be smart about the provision He has blessed us with. Let's be faithful daughters of the One True God and work hard at this one. We will be so very blessed for it!
Thanks for stopping by today :) God Bless!
Check out these other blogs as well about 10 Days of Proverbs 31. Good times! Great information. Blessings all around.